Finding a builder to repair flood damage January 20, 2011 07:50am
If you have found yourself on this page then chances are your property has been damaged by the recent floods.
Now you are trying to find a builder or tradesperson who will repair your house & this can be quite daunting as many people don’t have family or friends in the trade.
Here I hope to give you some tips that should make it easier to decide who the right person for you is.
1. When you meet the person ask to see their builders or contractor’s licence. If they say they don’t have it on them insist they will need to give you details of their trading name & licence # You can then call the BSA on 1300272272 or look them up on http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/SearchForLicensee/DisclaimerAgreeDisagree.aspx Here you can look at their history, everything from how long they have been licenced or to see if the BSA have issued them with any rectification notices.
2. Do they physically work on the job? If they are on site and on the tools they are more likely to have their finger on the pulse. If you have questions you know where to find them.
3. What is their trade background? Did they do an apprenticeship in the trade? I have come across quite a few people who have found their way into the industry not having detailed training. I am not saying that they can’t do the job just ask the questions to be sure.
4. Do they trade under their own name? If they do, do you think they are going to be more mindful of their reputation?
5. How much work have they got on right now? At this point in time can you afford to be waiting months for them to get to your house? Some builders and contractors will just keep signing up contracts with no ability to do the work anytime in the near future. Thats great for them but not for you, make sure you ask so you are not left in limbo.
If you think that you are just getting a sales pitch and your gut tells you it's no good, it probably isn't.
You could also try looking on the HIA website
I hope this helps get you back into your home or business soon